Actor Ned Vaughn Drops Out of California Assembly Race


Ned Vaughn - P 2013

Ned Vaughn, who quit as the No. 2 national-ranking officer at SAG-AFTRA in order to run for assemblyman in California as a Republican, has withdrawn from the race.

In an email to supporters on Friday, Vaughn said that his role as husband and father to his five children are a priority and that campaigning for office, in addition to his professional life as an actor, was too heavy a commitment on his time.

Vaughn, whose credits include Apollo 13, The Hunt for Red October and dozens of TV shows, said he intends to remain politically active, though not as a candidate in 2014.

EARLIER: No. 2 Officer of SAG-AFTRA Resigns to Run for State Assembly as a Republican 

In his email, Vaughn said he "will continue to promote the conservative principles that will lead us to a stronger future ... I will continue working toward a dynamic and diverse Republican Party and solutions that lift us all."

Of his decision to abandon his campaign for assemblyman, Vaughn wrote: "I've determined the timing of this pursuit is just too soon for my still-young family. My roles as husband and father are the ones I prize most, and it has become clear to me that conducting a successful Assembly campaign will require me to spend too much time away from my children at a time when they still need me. They will only be young once, and I don't want to largely miss an important time that they and I will never get back."

Vaughn acknowledged in August that, politically, he was somewhat of a fish out of water in Hollywood where Democrats rule the day. Nevertheless, he was highly regarded at SAG-AFTRA and even earned the endorsement of president Ken Howard, a liberal. 

"We may not have the same views on politics, but Ned is one of the finest leaders I've ever known," Howard said in August when he endorsed Vaughn for Assemblyman.

Email: Paul.Bond@THR.com


View the original article here

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário